The last 48 hours haven't been fun. Technology is a fantastic thing, but it's never perfect. When if fails, I'm not sure there's really that much preparation you can have… but you do have to react.
May nwere ike chọpụtala na saịtị anyị na-eji nwayọ nwayọ ewe izu ole na ole gara aga. Ọ bụ iju nyere eziokwu na anyị nwere ya na a nnukwu ngwugwu ngwugwu jikọtara na ihe nkesa data na netwọk nnyefe ọdịnaya. Ebe ọ bụ na anyị nwere ọtụtụ ohere, anyị kwadoro saịtị ndị ọzọ ebe ahụ, kwa too na nke ahụ bụ mmejọ anyị!
Otu oru ngo anyi bu elekọta mmadụ media nlekota ngwá ọrụ that connects to Twitter and Facebook, collecting data on thousands of teams in the sports market. Once a day it gathers fan and follower information, collecting it in the database. We've been doing a lot of development on the project and recently noticed that some of the stats were wrong. Our client, Okenye Pat, has been patient with us as we've been troubleshooting the issue.
Mgbe niile h ** l mebiri! Ọ na-egosi usoro maka ikpokọta ozi ahụ malitere na-agba ọsọ n'ime nkeji karịa otu ugboro n'ụbọchị. Ebe nchekwa data anyị toro karịa 1G n'ime ụbọchị, na-ebelata sava anyị ma na-ewere ọtụtụ ohere na ya. N'abalị ọzọ m na-ele anya ka saịtị ọ bụla anyị nwere na akaụntụ ahụ malitere ịgbadata otu n'otu. Ug.
Anyị na-eme atụmatụ ịbuga Martech na WPEngine to put it in a dedicated environment with backups, integrated content delivery, and a blazing fast set of servers. We have a couple other clients on it and have been extremely happy with both the service and their incredible support. It's not that Mediatemple was bad, it's simply that this environment was built for publication blogs like ours that get a ton of traffic. In the middle of the night, I wrote the guys at WPEngine and they had me up by the morning! Thanks guys!
Next, we started looking at how to fix the database. It actually halted the database server and corrupted the largest table (the one with ALL the central data!). Since the server was full, we couldn't do repair… we couldn't access the files, couldn't back it up… we were stuck. The folks at MediaTemple jumped in and repaired the table. We were then able to make a full backup and begin bringing the other sites back up.
The move to WPEngine wasn't without pain. Since we couldn't access our database, we had to take a recent snapshot of the database… which for some reason lost all of our category alignment in the process. We have Wepụ saịtị WordPress backups, kwa, mana nchekwa data anyị buru ibu nke na ijikọ ngalaba nchekwa niile ga-ewe ogologo oge.
So, we restored the data and been rooting through the 2,500+ posts and carefully recategorizing them. I'm sure we're going to take a bit of a hit on SEO because that changed URL paths… so we took an even bigger hit and changed our permalink structure (without the category). It's something I've needed to do for a while, so now was a better time than later.
We scrapped our old theme. It was graphics heavy (without CSS sprites) and wasn't too friendly to resizing. We've decided just to highly modify the Iri abụọ na iri na otu isiokwu that's standard with WordPress for now. It's HTML5 ready and has a ton of responsive design features that were good to take advantage of.
Ka ọ dị ugbu a, Jenn jigidere ebe ewusiri ike na DK New Media - juggling ole na ole oru na-akụ ha si nnukwu oge. Stephen wetara ụbọchị niile (ọ na-arụ ọrụ abalị!), Ezi enyi Adam Obere kicked in and helped, MediaTemple knocked it out of the park, and WPEngine helped, too. Thanks to everyone… we're back to blogging again!
Now it's time for me to get some sleep :). Then we'll fix our iPad and mobile themes!